10. You’ll save money on their Halloween costumes.
9. You can always find them in the snow.
8. Holding a black cat is very slimming.
7. Black cats will match any décor.
6. A lint brush isn’t required for a black-tie affair.
5. When you love a black cat, luck is on your side.
4. Black cats are like onyx, a beautiful gem.
3. Hey – they don’t care what color you are!
2. Love knows no color.
And the number one reason to adopt a black cat . . .
1. They are the least likely to be adopted.
Other Fun Facts
- The nose pads of both dogs and cats are unique – ridged in a pattern just like fingerprints of humans.
- Among the survivors from the doomed Titanic were two dogs – a Pekingese and a Pomeranian.
- A cat’s heart beats twice as fast as a human heart, at 110 to 140 beats per minute.
- Cats knead with their paws when they’re happy.
- Your cat loves you and can read your moods. If you’re sad or under stress, you may also notice a different in your cat’s behavior.
- The oldest known breed of dog native to North America is the Chihuahua and the oldest known breed is the Saluki, an Arabic word meaning “noble one.”
- An average cat has 1-8 kittens per litter and 2-3 litters per year.
- During her productive life, one female cat could have more than 100 kittens.
- A single pair of cats and their kittens can produce as many as 420,000 kittens in just 7 years.
- The U.S. has the highest dog population in the world, followed by France.
- People who own pets live longer, have less stress, and have fewer heart attacks.
- “Sociable” cats will follow you from room to room to monitor your activities throughout the day.
- Give your cat a quality scratching post to deter her from scratching your furniture. Still scratching? Try putting lemon scent or orange scent on the area. Cats hate these smells.
- You’ve probably heard that one year of a dog’s life is equal to seven in human years. Here’s another way of calculating a dog’s age. At one year, a dog is the equivalent of 16 human years; at two dog years they are 24 human years; at 3 dog years, 30 human years; and for every dog year after that, add 4 human years.
- Cats are partially color blind. They have the equivalency of human red/green color blindness. (Reds appear green and greens appear red – or shades thereof.)
- At birth, kittens can’t see or hear. Kittens open their eyes after five days and begin to develop their eyesight and hearing at approximately 2 weeks. They begin to walk at 20 days.
- Cats are the sleepiest of all mammals. They spend 16 hours of each day sleeping. With that in mind, a seven year old cat has only been awake for two years of its life!
- The Doberman breed was created in the 1860’s by Louis Doberman, a German tax-collector who created the dog to protect him while he worked.
- Cats spend 30% of their waking hours grooming themselves.
- 95% of all cat owners admit they talk to their cats!
- 32% of those who own their own home, also own at least one cat.
- Egyptians shaved their eyebrows as a sign of mourning when they lost a beloved cat.
- A cat has five more vertebrae in its spinal column than a human does.
- The weirdest cat on record was a female called Mincho who went up a tree in Argentina and didn’t come down again until she died six years later. While treed, she managed to have three litters with equally ambitious dads!
- Dogs have lived with humans for over 14,000 years. Cats have lived with people for only 7,000 years.
- Cats can see up to 120 feet away. Their peripheral vision is about 285 degrees.